The Betrothal


Last June 20, 2011, Jay was on his knees begging me for marriage. The begging is of course an exaggeration. Let’s save the How He Popped Up the Big Question in another article later. So watch for it. Meanwhile back on the title of the article, it’s been almost a year since I said YES to him. And many things have happened since then.

<><> <><> <><>
Pakagon, celebrating the Ilonggo engagement tradition
It is our custom as Ilonggos that the groom would formally ask for the bride’s hand from her family. We term the tradition as Pamalaye or Pakagon. Ever since I was a kid I witnessed numerous Pakagon events from my Titas and Titos and I usually end up as a flower girl or bridesmaid in those ceremonies. 

<><> <><> <><>
Trip to Bago City, Negros Occidental, June 2012
The event would start with the groom bringing his parents and relatives to the house of the bride. They would usually bring food enough for the planning and meet and greet session. Jay’s family came all the way from Davao and they have to take the Davao-Iloilo-Bacolod route just to get to our place. It was raining for days in Negros and the roads are quite slippery and messy. But thank God, Jay’s parents made it to our house.
<><> <><> <><>
Welcome to the City of Smiles, June 2012
Our home was all noise, with all my Titas and Titos from my mother’s and father’s sides in complete attendance. The air was festive with the sound of the nearby purok celebrating their fiesta. The rains and heavy winds did not stop the celebration of my birthday. Foods were in abundance as Jay and my relatives chipped in. TitaMerly weaved her usual magic in cooking both traditional and non-traditional Ilonggo food. There were Valenciana (Ilonggo Paella), Chopsuey, Pork Estofado, Special Spicy Chicken, and many many more. 

<><> <><> <><>
Valenciana, June 2012
Beyond the food and chitchat the best part was of course Jay delivering the news. He did ask for my hand from my father.  He was so candid about it although I can sense his nerves wracking underneath. It felt great, far greater than his first proposal. We told our parents about our plans and they were enthusiastic about it. They gave suggestions and we made notes. The planning just smoothly breezed through. 
<><> <><> <><>
Tale of the Two Fathers
 When I was young, I told myself that I will get married when I am 28, I wasn’t that sure since I don’t know if there is someone meant for me. But hey, dreams do come true. And it happened on my birthday. I will always remember it as the day I am betrothed to my one true love.

Comments

Popular Posts