The Proposal

Exactly a year ago, at around dinner time, I popped the big Q.
How it happened? Here it goes.

Months before, I have already decided to ask Shellyn the ultimate question. As I'm kind of quiet, only I know it. I spent more time in the internet researching and stuffing myself with information regarding proposals. Basically, one that really took my attention is the ring. Countless times I have asked for advices from people I only knew by their nicks (in online forums). I initially thought it was easy as you just have to buy a ring, date her in a fancy restaurant, connive maybe with the waiter or a musician and kneel. But it was not. I want it to be more of a personalized one.
The Ring
As detailed as I may be, I focused more on the ring as it would be something she will wear every day for the rest of her life and hopefully would be passed on to our son. One big hurdle is how to get her size. She is not fond of accessories much less a ring. So I ended up asking her sister instead to discreetly and unknowingly find the exact fit.

For several late night-sleeps surfing the net, and multiple visits to smiths and shops I finally found the style and specifications I needed. Not to mention the alibis I have to create in detail so she would not be suspicious. Well, I’m not really a good liar but I believe she bought them.  I returned to the store, discussed my request and the deal was on. 3 weeks later, a ring with a Hearts and Arrows-cut diamond, was ready for pickup. I said to myself, “This is it!”
Closer look at the design
It was a long weekend that time. Not that I’m thinking of my preparations but I’m more of in mixed emotions as to what her answer will be. Would it be plain yes? or no? not yet, maybe? That I wouldn’t know until a couple more days. Besides, I should act just like my usual self so she would totally be blind of what’s to take place.
On the dusk of June 20, 2011; I was preparing a special dinner at her boarding house while she was watching television. The proposal box was already in my pocket. We ate our full and as usual talked about anything and everything we can think of. After dinner, she went back watching TV and I cleaned the plates. My heart is already pounding as the time draws near. I casually walked towards her and surprisingly kneeled, opening the box with a shiny little thing in it. I asked her “Ga, will you marry me?” She leaped with a deep tight hug, and I knew then it was all I needed for an answer. : )

Comments

Popular Posts